Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I Win! I am the Biggest Geek!

Sadly I get to be the biggest geek not through any efforts of my own, but because Mr. Bruce Sterling posted on Glass Incarnate today. Some people have cherished Kleenex which wiped the sweat from Mick Jagger's... at a Rolling Stones concert. Me, I may never let anyone else post a comment on that blog ever again.

I wrote Dave about it and his response was, "Um, you do know that people aren’t always who they seem on this Internet-thingy..." He's so cute. Doesn't he know I Have the Tools? I looked up the information on the visitor who posted that comment and got the domain name, referring page, location (including latitude and longitude), OS, Javascript version, monitor resolution, color depth, length of visit, page views, browser version, and out click. I am pretty sure it was he.

Brenda "Geek Groupie" Griffith

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Since I'm more of a dork than a geek I had to look up Bruce Sterling.

Brenda Griffith said...

And weren't you impressed? I am still not washing the hand that typed that post...

Anonymous said...

Did you manage to access his webcam to check out his hair color?

Did you ask him what his favorite wine is?

I follow several authors LiveJournals, including Steven Brust, Will Shetterley, Emma Bull, Poppy Z. Brite, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis (who's actually commented on one of my posts), and others. Once upon a time, a few years back, I sent a comment to David Drake, and got an email back from him.

But if you REALLY want to get to know an SF author, you've got to go to WorldCon...

Brenda Griffith said...

You KNOW I want to! Damn CNN and their whole election software thingie. I just cannot face that many hours on a plane alone with a four year-old followed by a con... with a four year-old. Leaving her AND Dave is not an option--I would miss them too much.

Brenda Griffith said...

And nyah, nyah, I sent Mr. Sterling an email thanking him for visiting and he wrote me back too. Of course he had to be sure I was a self-deprecating dork, but he was gracious about it.

(See? This is derailing my day again!)

Anonymous said...

All aboard the Brenda Train! Beware the derailment at the drop of a verb!

Chris said...

Cool! I haven't had any famous visitors to my blog (that I know of), but I did get an e-mail from Mark Ritts who played Lester the Rat on Beakman's World about my now ten year old Beakman's Electric Motor web page (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~palmer/motor.html).

I've also found that, for minor "celebrities", sometimes you just have to send them an e-mail. I've communicated via e-mail several times with Orson Scott Card, James "The Amazing" Randi, and David Brin.

I also found, back in the early web USENET days that you have to watch what you say. I posted some scathing comments about a Babylon 5 novel written by John Vornholt only to have him quickly e-mail me to defend his work. I also wrote a nice comment about a book by Stephen Goldin and he e-mailed me as well to thank me.