Tuesday, May 05, 2009

10-Day Detox With Kashi Yoga

Day four of my detox and I am feeling pretty good! No caffeine, alcohol, meat, dairy, salt, sugar, oil (other than the clarified butter I have before breakfast every morning) since friday and through next Monday. I'm basically eating kitchari (basmati rice, mung beans, a little veggies and spices), Moroccan oatmeal (whole rolled oats mixed with dried apricots, dates, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and cloves), and leafy greens soup. I'm drinking herbal tea, water, and more herbal tea. Dinner every day for the rest of the detox is a semi-fast--I get a pomegranate shooter (1/4 c. pomegranate juice, water and minced ginger).

I scrape my tongue, use a neti pot, and gargle with turmeric and salt water every morning. I meditate for 10 minutes after I drink my warm clarified butter (started with 1 t. per day and am moving up to 7 per day by the end) followed by a hot water chaser. I haven't been too good about doing yoga every day yet, but I'm working up to it. It's been 14 years since I did yoga and the simplest poses are now the hardest for me (child's pose, e.g.). Anytime I have to sit with my legs tucked under me it's almost impossible. I think my thighs have expanded too much... But I'll get better, and I hope to start doing it more often--even if only in our basement while Dave works out on the treadmill. Now to work!

1 comment:

ren said...

oh my. while i admire your...fortitude...the idea of drinking clarified butter makes me queeeeeeasy. good luck though. it sounds pretty pleasant...except for the butter part...and the caffeine part...and the....no, no, those two are the ones i have trouble with. the rest i might could handle (see, that's the southern comin' out there...might could...tch.)

good luck!