Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Get Yer Samoas! Get Yer Thin Mints! Get Yer Do-Si-Dos!

The first annual Jessie Griffith Girl Scout Cookie sell-a-thon has begun! We have more boxes than she is tall so pull out those wallets. I went the extra mile today for her (okay, so I indulged my obsession with Internet technologies) and I created a Google Docs spreadsheet (a spreadsheet shared between Dave and me that lives in our private space on the web) to track her cookies and sales. Then I put the iPhone application for Google (which includes Google docs) on my iPhone and now I can pull up the spreadsheet wherever I am to see the address and phone number of the person I am delivering too, and I can also see--and update--how many boxes we have left in each kind. It was too much fun (and I am such a geek!).

But enough about technology. This is all about our little Daisy (pre-pre-Girl Scout) and her cookies! Without further ado, I present This Year's Cookies! My personal favorite is the Samoa. You can't go wrong with Samoas, I always say. The Girl Scouts say:

Samoas®: These are round doughnut-shaped cookies about two inches in diameter with a hole in the center, covered in caramel and toasted coconut, and then striped with chocolate. Samoas® are made by Little Brownie Bakers.

Thin Mints: The most enduring and universally familiar Girl Scout cookie. These round, mint-flavored cookies covered with dark chocolate perennially sell the most boxes of any cookie. Thin Mints have never changed their name. Little Brownie Bakers and ABC Bakers both make Thin Mints.

Do-Si-Dos®: A sandwich cookie. The round, bumpy perforated oatmeal cookie top and bottom surrounds a peanut butter-flavored layer inside. Do-Si-Dos® (formerly Gauchos) are baked by Little Brownie Bakers.

Trefoils: These shortbread cookies are shaped like the Girl Scout Trefoil design. Scot Teas were a similar, lighter sugar cookie made by the now defunct Burry. These cookies come in a blue box. Little Brownie Bakers calls them Trefoils.

Tagalongs®: These are round cookies with a layer of peanut butter on top, and covered in chocolate. These cookies come in a red box. Little Brownie Bakers calls them Tagalongs®.

Lemon Chalet Cremes™: Featuring a design of Our Chalet in Switzerland, a beloved Girl Scout World Center, this sandwich cookie has a touch of cinnamon-ginger spice that evokes the warmth of a fireside chat on a snowy evening; they are made by Little Brownie Bakers.

Dulce de Leche: New for 2009, and inspired by the classic confections of Latin America, these sweet, indulgent cookies are rich with milk caramel chips and stripes. They come in a turquoise box, and are made by Little Brownie Bakers.



Get Yer Lemon Chalet Cremes! Get Yer Dulce de Leche! Get Yer Tagalongs! Quick, before we eat them all...

3 comments:

Bill said...

It's been years since the Girl Scouts sold cookies that I'd want to eat...

Bridget, however, has a thing for Thin Mints.

Jodi said...

Tagalongs and Thin Mints are my favorite. Best frozen. I've heard through the grapevine that Tagalongs are smaller this year (much like what happened to the Cadbury Creme Egg a couple of years ago). Boo. I really don't like any of the others. Especially that coconut one.

I'm always so proud of how I resist and don't buy from my co-workers' kids. Or, I only do if the troop will take money and send the boxes to the soldiers overseas. Not sure if any are doing that still.

But, I will have to swallow my willpower in a couple of weeks when I'm desperately running out to the grocery store, where Girl Scouts and their Moms are unloading the remaining cases and buy a few to scarf down. I'm so predictable it's boring.

ren said...

i remember the days, my dad helped me and wouldn't give his employees paychecks until they bought a box. heh.

i am a do-di-do fan generally but in the past few years, i have become fond of the trefoils.

i'd buy a box from jessie if i were there because the girl scouts are pretty darn cool. i am particularly pleased with the way they have worded their mission statement to say that they support ALL girls. good for them.