Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Update on the DOGS

First a quick update on the dogs (from yesterday's Glass Incarnate): The landlady for Alvin and Belinda called Belinda yesterday and Belinda insisted Alvin was coming over daily and feeding and watering the dogs. Bullshit. When they had no water at 9:30 am for the rest of the day and it was in the high 80's yesterday... Sadly she gave them the heads up there was a problem and they came late last night and cleared out a bunch more stuff (looks like cabinets torn out and on the curb this morning) and took the dogs. I was really hoping they would get adopted and go to a better home.

The female pit bull was still chained up as of early this morning, but she is not out in the yard now. I am going to keep an eye out and if they try to chain her up again I will call again. I lucked out and the complaint from yesterday was not filed in my name so I do not have to worry about repercussions. When we were walking into A & B's backyard I pointed out the pit over the fence to the animal control person and since she was able to see it from there, she filed the complaint herself. Of course when they think it's safe and chain the dog up again I will have to call in my name... but one bridge at a time.

In the middle of yesterday's dog excitement the neighbor on the other side told me that he saw a rat ran under the fence into his yard from the neighbor on his other side. This is another yard with four dogs chained/caged 24/7. The people who live there own the house and have lived there for about 40 years. I talked to them about the barking when we first moved in, and they were receptive but really didn't do anything. Other long-time neighbors told me that many people have complained over time about the yard (it is full of trash, junk cars, rickety sheds... you get the picture) and dogs (chained and caged) but nothing ever comes of it. That might be about to change as my neighbor was quite distressed about the rat and is also bothered by the garbage smell, the barking and the flies emanating from the yard. This being Georgia in the middle of a lush early summer, the verdure obscures the trash. But you can still see a bit of junk truck, trash, shed and one of the many kennels in the yard through the trees.

The times they are a changing. Next (after the vacation news): pics of the new screened-in porch (just in time for West Nile season!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I log onto your blog, I get the message from early May named "Life", and nothing else. If you hadn't posted a direct link from your other blog, I wouldn't have found this post. What's up with that?